Why Choose Us?
NorthPoint Therapists have Master Level Degrees in counseling/psychology. Additionally, many of our therapists have extensive training in Marriage Therapy, Sexual Addiction Recovery, Multiple Addiction Recovery, as well as Partner Relational Trauma Care. Collectively, our team of professionals bring decades of experience working with many of today's complex issues.
Furthermore, many of our counselors are National Board Certified Counselors (NCC). National Board Certified Counselors, unlike non-board counselors, are required to further their education through continuing educational training. NCC’s therapists are highly recognized throughout the United States as advanced leaders in the field of counseling.
NorthPoint’s Marriage Therapists have trainings in The Gottman Method Couples Therapy model. The goals of The Gottman Method include increasing closeness and friendship behaviors, addressing conflict productively, and building a life of shared meaning together. The Gottman Method involves customizing principles from the research to each couple’s particular patterns and challenges.
For nearly forty years of studies and clinical practice, The Gottman Method Couples Therapy helps couples break through barriers to achieve greater understanding, connection and intimacy in their relationships. Through research-based interventions and exercises, it is a structured, goal-oriented, scientifically-based therapy. Intervention strategies are based upon empirical data from Dr. Gottman’s study of more than 3,000 couples. This research shows what actually works to help couples achieve a long-term healthy relationship.
SEXUAL ADDICTION / MULTIPLE ADDICTION RECOVERY
NorthPoint’s Sexual Addiction Therapists have extensive training as a Certified Sexual Addiction Therapist (CSAT). The CSAT training and certification programs are recognized as the leaders and experts within the field of sex addiction treatment. As CSAT’s, we utilize researched based assessment tools and the 30-task model treatment methodology to deliver an unprecedented approach to addiction recovery for trauma, sexual addiction and co-occurring addictions.
NorthPoint has a Multiple Addiction Therapist (CMAT) to help those who suffer from multiple addictions. It is reported that almost 50% of people suffering from an addiction have more than one addiction. Not assessing for multiple addictions and identifying how they interact with one another can severely inhibit a client’s recovery.
NorthPoint’s Partner Relational Partner Care also known as a Certified Clinical Partner Specialists (CCPS) have extensive training/certification in Partner Relational Partner Care. We utilize a treatment model that acknowledges and responds to the traumatic stress found in partners affected by sex addiction by utilizing a multidimensional trauma model. Both CSAT and CCPS therapists are trained to work specifically with sexual addiction and complex partner trauma.
EMDR / TRAUMA RECOVERY
NorthPoint’s Trauma Care Therapists utilize a psychotherapy called Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR). EMDR is a psychotherapy that enables people to heal from the symptoms and emotional distress that are the result of disturbing life experiences. Repeated studies show that by using EMDR therapy people can experience the benefits of psychotherapy that once took years to make a difference. EMDR aims to reduce subjective distress and strengthen adaptive cognitions related to the traumatic event.
- Accident, surgery, and burn victims
- Children and adolescents healed of the symptoms, including depression, caused by disturbing life experiences
- Clients at all stages of chemical dependency, sexual deviation/addiction, and pathological gamblers
- Combat veterans
- Excessive grief due to the loss of a loved one
- People with dissociative disorders
- People with performance anxiety or deficits in school, business, performing arts, and/or sports
- People with somatic problems/somatoform disorders, including migraines, chronic pain, phantom limb pain, chronic eczema, gastrointestinal problems, CFS, psychogenic seizures, eating disorders, and negative body image
- Persons with phobias, panic disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder and generalized anxiety disorder who revealed a reduction of fear and symptoms
- Victims of natural and manmade disasters
PSYCHIATRY / PSYCHOLOGIST
Additionally, we exclusively utilize a consulting Psychiatrist for mental health evaluations and prescription med management care.
Our Therapists are members in good standing with many organizations including:
- The International Institute of Trauma and Addiction Professionals (iiTAP)
- American Psychological Association (APA)
- Michigan Psychological Association (MPA)
- Society for the Advancement of Sexual Health (SASH)
- National Board Certified Counselors (NCC)
- Michigan Mental Health Counselors Association (MMHCA)
NorthPoint Therapists maintain their clinical skills by attending conferences, workshops and symposiums relating to the fields of addiction, trauma, and marriage. Additionally, many of our therapists are presenters locally in workshops and seminars.